Birds are the only living creatures which have feathers.
Birds have wings. Most birds can fly. All birds have two feet.
- A bird has wings. It uses them to fly.
- A bird's shape helps it to move fast through the air.
- A bird has strong arm and chest muscles. It can flap its wings with these.
- A bird is very light. It has air in its body and very light bones.
- Birds have different shaped feet. They have 3 toes which point to the front and a shorter toe which points backwards.
Birds also use their toes to balance, hold on to things, walk on leaves, climb, swim and wade in water.
- Birds have different shaped beaks. They do not have teeth.
They use their beaks to cut, open, tear, crush and chisel.
- Birds build nests to lay eggs and shelter their young ones.
Some nests are made up high in trees. Others are made on the ground or in buildings.
Birds have 3 kinds of feathers
- Down feathers keep the bird warm
- Body feathers cover the body
- Flight feathers help the bird to fly
for third and fourth graders